Monday, April 23, 2012

Kony 2012?

The Gladwell article raised interesting questions about social media and its influence on social activism.  The Kony issue that caught fire via social networking is a recent example.  The warlord got the attention of 87.5 million-plus people via the YouTube video produced by the American NGO "Invisible Children." Everyone was talking about it.  It was on all the news stations and when one of the other warlords was convicted of criminal actions in the World Court it also kept the interest flowing.  However, as I mentioned in a previous blog, it seems to have lost its momentum with many of those who discovered it and reacted to it only through the social media.  Gladwell argues that the strong-tie phenomenom that was present with the Greensboro lunch counter sit-in members is not present with those who engage through social media.  I would agree. 
Saturday morning my family members and I discovered that we had a Kony 2012 poster attached to both our front door and to the tree in our front yard. Across the street from our house was a huge poster of the same.  We don't know where they came from.  My daughter sent money to the cause and isn't sure if that was the connection.  Anyway, most of my neighbors were unsure what the poster meant.  It is a very unique statment with both the GOP elephant and DNC donkey blended to show this is not about politics.  But where is this cause going?  I am not sure.  I do know that the US has sent troops to help the African Union track Kony down but not sure if even half the 87.5 million who connected with the video are still aware of any of the LRA leader's current situation or about how he is believed to be on the run but not stopping his mission as he moves eastward. 
So I think that though social media does get the word out and bring awareness, like Gladwell stated, it does not involve the high risk activism that is necessary to see the campaign through to its success. 
The Greensboro students had the courage of their convictions.  Kony internet followers don't need that kind of courage.

3 comments:

  1. The posters you saw on your street are part of a facebook event. The organization asked people to send a donation. In return, they were sent Kony posters to post in their neighborhoods. I believe the event was supposed to happen on April 20th. I thought it was weird because I couldnt find a link to buy posters and it said they wanted posters to be put out at night. I don't think a good cause should have to hide under the cover of darkness, so I gave up on looking for posters. I agree, I think the Kony cause is a good one, but their methods of spreading the word are not very productive. Social media can help spread awareness, but it cannot be the only means of communication. I hope they can find better ways to help the people of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Pam. The initial social media onslaught was certainly effective. But needed a "real" follow up to promote true activism and commitment. But then again, maybe the initial popularity was too much. Is it better to start slower? It seems that it's sudden popularity also led to massive criticism. Maybe a slower rise in the public eye would have allowed for greater stability in their growth? Either way, a great cause. Hopefully they are able to grow in a healthy and further effective manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Tanya said. I think the "onslaught" was effective via the social media but needed a good follow up to promote the issue further. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future if it continues.

    ReplyDelete